“You’ll never play
volleyball again”
My heart sank. These are
the hardest words that I have ever had to swallow, and are the words that every athlete fears. Since I was 12 I had a passion for sports, with one in particular. Volleyball was not just a sport
for me, it was a lifestyle. I had already had my first knee surgery just nine
months prior to the new injury, so leaving the doctor’s office that day I was
defeated, two knee surgeries before I could even drive! I thought my career was over my sophomore year in high school.
Going into my second knee
surgery I was already acclimated to the lifestyle I was about to endure for the
next few months of recovery, but those words the doctor told me that day were
burned into my mind. My eye was on collegiate volleyball and going into surgery
I thought I would never be able to reach that dream. Shortly after surgery my
physical therapist pushed me to the limit, trying to save my career. Little did
I know back then him pushing me how he did would pay off.
After months of hard work
and dedication I returned stronger than ever, finally achieving my goal. A full
ride scholarship was in my near future, making everything I was put through
worth it. I became an All American for my Junior College; also, getting every other
award I set my mind to. I quickly decided that I wanted to continue and play
again, but the hard work and dedication I put in led me to knee surgery number
three my sophomore year in college.
I was absolutely devastated,
three knee surgeries by the time I was 20 years old. Looking back now, still
recovering from surgery number four, the number three wasn’t all that bad! I
decided to prove to myself that I could continue after I recovered, which took
a longer than expected because of complications with my knee. I took two
seasons off and then decided that I would play again, not knowing I only had
one season left in me. I finished out my college career only playing for three
years and endured four knee surgeries. If anyone knows struggle and needed
motivation, it was me. My struggles and journey was, and still is, one of the
defining moments in my life.
"A minor setback
paves the way for a major
comeback" - The Odyssey
Every setback I had proved
to me that the comeback would be so much greater! I hope my personal journey
through my past surgeries (and current surgery) show that giving up is never an
option.
Wow! What an amazing story! Can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDelete